Addolorata Cemetery

Polidano Group has joined forces with other companies in a new Consortium to carry out works at the national cemetery in Malta.  The works involve the construction of around 3,000 burial sites, which are then sold by the Government.

Excavation work is being carried out, and in accordance with sustainable environment policies, the material is being recycled to be used on site or other construction sites.  Also soil is being seived to remove large stones.  The soil will later be used for the landscaping areas.

The construction of the graves have also been taken in hand.  The construction is being made using local franka stone.

Background

The Santa Maria Addolorata Cemetery, often known simply as the Addolorata Cemetery, is a state owned Neo-Gothic cemetery located in Paola, Malta. It is a multi-faith cemetery overshadowed by christian burials. It is the largest burial ground in the country and has been expanded a number of times. People of all social background are buried within the cemetery, and it consists from temporary memorial plaques of the death (which are removed over time) to permanent monuments including chapels belonging to private families. The cemetery also includes Commonwealth War graves.

History

The cemetery was built between 1862 and 1868 on a hill known as Tal-Ħorr which was already a burial ground since prehistoric times. The cemetery and the chapel were built in a neo-gothic design based on designs by the architect Emanuele Luigi Galizia. It was opened on May 9, 1869. Nonetheless, the first burial took place on January 23, 1872. This cemetery is full of old Mausoleums and statues in marble and bronze. The cemetery was further extended in the 1970s. Addolorata Cemetery contains 250 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 18 from the Second World War.

Chapel

The iconic neo-gothic Chapel of Our Lady is definitely the centre of attraction within the whole complex. The cemetery is built around the chapel, which lies on the highest part of the hill. Its spire is visible from miles away above the surrounding trees. The care of the non-denominational chapel was in the hands of the Franciscan Capuchins until 2010.

Read more about the project here:  Minister visits works at Addolorata Cemetery